Folder auto complete

I didn’t use Tab, because besides auto-completion it is used to change focus between inputs. This is an accessibility feature, and I don’t have enough knowledge on the topic, nor someone to consult with, to risk breaking anything about it. There are already multiple requests for improving accessibility #294, #295, #938, that have had no progress for some time.

Regarding the choice of Shift+Tab: the previous shortcuts were Enter for “confirm”, Shift+Enter for “the other confirm”, Space for “complete folder”, so it seemed consistent to add Shift+Space for “the other complete folder”.

Also, some code editors use Ctrl+Space to open the autocomplete hint list, this seemed not far off. The only context where I found Shift+Space being used was to scroll the page up in web browsers (opposite of Space), but I decided that with the picker open it wouldn’t collide in any way.

It is on the end for me after I press the shortcut, I can’t reproduce it. However I noticed that when using the up and down arrow to move around the list of suggestions the cursor jumps to beginning and end, respectively. Could this be what you are referring to?

I see that it is related from the UX perspective, but for implementation this would be two different features:

• auto complete folder names in Page Namer
  • auto complete folder names in Page: Batch Rename Prefix command (and maybe other prompts expecting a page name)

The complication here is that both of these places currently don’t have any list of options to select from (like Editor and Page Picker), so this would be a much bigger effort than just adding a shortcut. I’m not complaining, just explaining the reasoning why the feature seems “half-done” now

I noticed that I don’t have a way to do Shift+Space (or Tab) on the mobile, thinking about handling long press on an option the same way, just need to understand if that can be done reasonably easily.

2 Likes