SilverBullet 2.12: Growing With You

Very nice. Any plans for what you will focus on for the next release?

Great to see those example use-cases - lots of inspiration for styling and dynamic things there

I love the new slogan, examples, and website! Focusing on malleability is definitely the way to go with SB.

I for one feel personally attacked. After many moons of "my project management is so complex and unique, it's OK that it looks ugly and that it's a bit rickety, after all it's using unsupported edge-cases of silverbullet", you show up with index and it's freakin' gorgeous.

[begrudgingly proceeds to start looking therein for ideas to steal]

Fantastic work!

...here's a great example of why this is fantastic. That space uses pageDecoration.icon, whereas I had been using pageDecoration.prefix (which does not show up when using aliases). This is a great way of showing how to "rice" spaces, and even if it uses unstable APIs, we can follow those examples as they evolve!

I'll hopefully record one for each of the use cases, but here's the first one for the "personal" use case:

I'm looking at this at the moment: Docs as Code for Custom CSS (improving styling)

Would love a part two where you give an agent harness (OpenCode or Claude Code) access to the space through the sb CLI/MCP. It opens up Space Lua and queries to people who don't write code, since the agent can build them from a plain-English request.

As a developer, it still changed how I use SilverBullet. It's like an executive assistant grounded in my notes: I dump rough thoughts into an inbox, run a custom /inbox command in OpenCode, and it proposes a title, tags and destination for each note. I approve, and it files everything. It also answers questions from my pages, syncs my work items from Azure DevOps, and remembers my preferences between sessions.

The malleability of silverbullet is very reminiscent of the recent Patchwork demo from Ink & Switch, and they clued in on the utility of using an LLM to make the malleability accessible to non-technical users. I think it's actually a great use case for LLMs that'll persist after the hype cycles die out, regulation comes in, etc etc.

The use of AI and LLMs is unfortunately a very divisive topic in the world right now. I try to avoid making SB some sort of political tool to push people into either direction. SilverBullet should just be great software for everybody, whether you want to use AI tools or not.

That said, I do know that these tools can be an incredible enabler for people, allowing them to do things with SilverBullet that otherwise would be near impossible. Purely accidentally, the mixture of markdown files on disk mixed with Lua works great with AI coding agents. There are many examples that demonstrate this in the community already.

I don't think it's actually necessary to add any AI-specific features into SilverBullet at all to make them work. Things that are understandable and intuitive to humans, often work with LLMs just as well. For instance: easy to discover and complete documentation, CLI tools, proper error messages, debugging tools and so on. So by improving those, everybody wins.

I have been making (and continue to make) big investments into the SilverBullet CLI which plays very well AI agents, documentation, and I've been dabbling on a set of agent skills as well. @justyns has been maintaining an AI plug and mcp bridge you can use. All of this is 100% opt in, for those that want to leverage this stuff.

The goal here is to get as much leverage out of SilverBullet for as big an audience as possible. Want to keep AI out of your life, or at least your private notes — that's the default. Want to pull them in and see what you can do? Prompt your heart out and see what's possible.

Video for the "docs as code" use case: