Absolute know-nothing beginner questions

Hey everyone, really excited to begin using Silverbullet as a note-taking and journaling tool as well as a “learn by doing” journey for Markdown and the other capabilities that Silverbullet has to offer, but I am almost completely clueless when it comes to the terminal. I have a few “fundamentals” questions if anyone is able to answer.

I installed via Docker at first but didn’t like the idea of having to open up Docker and run the container to then open up Silverbullet. Installing straight to disk via Deno feels more convenient. I installed following the instructions but now just need some basic tips that I haven’t really found documented anywhere (probably because it is so entry-level).

1. I can start Silverbullet using “silverbullet D:[folder][where i keep my pages]”. In the video tutorial, Zef uses a more plaintext location to start Silverbullet but I’ve not had luck with that. Not a big deal but I’d like to get that configured if possible.

2. Once I have Silverbullet running I can no longer type in Powershell. It just shows the Silverbullet activity but I have no > to enter text into so I can’t, for example, close Silverbullet unless I close Powershell. I wanted to be able to set up authorization with the SB_USER command for example but am not able to (I’m assuming this is supposed to be done in the terminal).

3. How do you delete pages/quick notes? I’ve messed around enough to have made some pages and quick notes to get my bearings. But these are just test pages. How can I delete unwanted pages and quick notes?

Sorry if these are annoyingly simple questions. Feel free to let me know I’m completely out of my depth here.

I’m really inspired by this program and know that if I can just get the basics down I’ll already be able to fulfill 90% of my needs, and from there I’m excited to scale up my functionalities as I come across things I’d like to integrate into my system.

Thank you!

Regarding the third question, deleting pages should be possible using the built-in delete command.

Haha I don’t understand other questions, I’m a newbie too, but the people here are very friendly and they should be able to help you.

1 Like

Can you open a new PS window?

Also, in Linux you can run a process in the background by adding & to the end. I found this article relating that command to an equivalent in PS, so hopefully that can help.

1 Like

Hi, yes a new PS tab can be opened. Just wanted to make sure this wasn’t an issue. For now I can get in and edit and it looks like everything is saving normally. I do get a “Space folder path different on server, reloading the page” pop-up when opening Silverbullet using the same path as above so not sure what’s going on there but everything seems to be where I left it on the pages.

No, this is expected. When you start SB, the PS session ends up being dedicated to SB process. You can look into running SB as a background process. I don’t know how Windows/PS does things, but a quick search leads me to Start-Job.

1 Like

It was explained above that this is because now PowerShell is busy running SilverBullet. If you want to stop the current program without closing the window, press Ctrl+C. This will tell the program (SilverBullet) to interrupt what it’s doing and in a moment you’ll have your prompt with > available again.

If you want to run the previous command, and also change it, you can go through command history with up and down arrows.

1 Like