Is SilverBullet a good fit for me?

Hello everyone,

I’m currently using Logseq DB and I like the journal-based approach and the ‘everything is a block’ concept. Unfortunately, I’m not keen on the fact that you can’t host Sync yourself and (at least at the moment) there isn’t a good way to collaborate.

I really like a lot of what I see here. But I’m wondering whether I’ll end up having problems with the page-based approach.

My current workflow is as follows:

  • I need to quickly capture information on a wide variety of topics; at this stage, I don’t want to worry about which page this information fits best on or whether, for example, I should create a new page for it. That’s why I use the Journal for this. I tag this information and, through queries, it ends up – for example – on the pages where I’ll use it later, or where I track projects and to-dos. In doing so, many blocks end up on more than one page, and it’s very likely that the structure is constantly changing.
  • A folder-based hierarchy doesn’t work for me; many blocks ‘live’ in several places and have lots of tags. It’s also important to me that I can change the attributes of tags.

Do you think it makes sense for me to try out Silverbullet, or are we not a good fit? I know there’s a Journal feature now, but is there a way to replicate blocks in a meaningful way, or will I end up with thousands of tiny pages?

Many thanks for any tips and suggestions.

Heavily inspired by an influx of LogSeq users with similar concerns, this workflow is now pretty well supported as partially covered here: Incremental Formalization in Note Taking — No SilverBullet

I also default to making most of my notes on a journal page, linking from there and heavily relying on backlinks to connect things. I’d say: give it a try.

Here’s the lengthy discussion that led us there: Coming from Logseq, Outlines and Linked Mentions