Local video embedding

Hello, Zef!
I’ve just joined the forum. I’ve taken a brief look at the program and it looks good at first sight. This is good news for me because I’m using note-taking program for my work daily and the one I’m using now is shit, so I need a replacement.
This thread is described as a place for crazy ideas, but mine is not crazy at all, it’s absolutely reasonable. I’ve noticed one core feature that’s obviously missing - embedding local videos. I’ve seen a function of embedding youtube videos with backticks and embed command, but there’s no such function for local videos. This is unacceptable for me, cause I have many videos in my notes and while browsing through notes I need to see a player opened for each video and one of its frames already rendered in that player.
So I’m asking you to implement it as fast as possible and I’m sure it’s not hard to do by using html

A piece of my message is getting cut off. Why?

Not sure, but you should be able to edit it.

For “reasonable” ideas like this it’s probably better to create an issue on GitHub.

I’m able to edit it and in the edit field I see the whole text, but when it’s posted, it’s cut off. Something is wrong with your forum engine.
Don’t get the sarcasm about my word. Would you explain?

Oh, I understood what is wrong with post text. Your engine has a crappy implementation of XSS protection. So when I typed the tag name in angled brackets, then instead of just escaping the bracket symbols properly (by replacing with ampersand designations) the thing cut off all the text that followed the first bracket. This engine is crap indeed.
So that’s how the post originally looked:

Hello, Zef!
I’ve just joined the forum. I’ve taken a brief look at the program and it looks good at first sight. This is good news for me because I’m using note-taking program for my work daily and the one I’m using now is shit, so I need a replacement.
This thread is described as a place for crazy ideas, but mine is not crazy at all, it’s absolutely reasonable. I’ve noticed one core feature that’s obviously missing - embedding local videos. I’ve seen a function of embedding youtube videos with backticks and embed command, but there’s no such function for local videos. This is unacceptable for me, cause I have many videos in my notes and while browsing through notes I need to see a player opened for each video and one of its frames already rendered in that player.
So I’m asking you to implement it as fast as possible and I’m sure it’s not hard to do by using html <video> tags, which the browser opens with it’s own player. My current program is doing exactly this - it’s not a web app, but it uses browser engine for rendering markdown in view mode and substitutes <video> tag for each video. So each video is opened with a simple player with a time slider, volume regulator and speed regulator, which is enough.
Will you do this?

@Unique I’m not sure embedding local content is a good fit for Silverbullet, because a big goal of Silverbullet is to let you access your content from anywhere, and “local” content is by definition available on only one client.

Just as important, Zef is just one guy, and he can’t drop everything just to implement a feature that might convince someone to start using Silverbullet. Since the the note-taking program you’re currently using already supports your use case, it might be more worthwhile for you to work with the authors of that program to make it less “shit”.

PS: Discourse (the forum software used here) has a handy preview feature, which you can use to check your post before submitting and save yourself some grief.

3 Likes

First, these are blatant lies which can be unveiled easily. Second, I didn’t ask for your opinion, I asked the developer. I’m sure he’s a self-sufficient man who doesn’t need secretaries to respond for him.
So what is it, Zef? Will you implement this feature? And will you explain your sarcasm about my words?

2 Likes

Ok that’s enough. I don’t care for your tone and communication style, so let’s end this. The answer to both your questions is “no” and I’ll be suspending your account.

Thanks for your support @danberindei

4 Likes