MacOS App... really!?

I did the probably stupidest thing ever, but anyway… I created a MacOS app for SilverBullet.

What this means is you have a native MacOS app, that runs SilverBullet.
You get a Finder sidebar custom icon, a Finder Toolbar custom Action (that opens SilverBullet) and can choose your target folder (which usually will be … SilverBullet).

Short Movie at below link

This is probably the single most retarded thing I have done in a while… but it was fun and I am going to use it, def. It can connect to the remote server, if I ever set up a remote.
Unfortunately, developing is easier than distributing. Somehow I still don’t get how to pass Apple’s “This app needs to be updated” annoyances, something with my signature is not right, so I cannot share the app itself, but I can share the process and code for anyone who wants to do the same useless thing.

Useless because de-facto SilverBullet is already an app… so what you save yourself with this is a trip to the terminal if you are local, and get your fancy finder action + icon.
PS: Posted in tricks & techniques because I couldn’t find any more suitable category.

1 Like

Nice, yes. Once upon a time there was a desktop version of SB for all three major platforms built with Electron. There was a “native” mobile app too. But all the signing, distribution and testing shenanigans just were too much of a pain so I ditched it in favor of the offline PWA approach (which you can also install via safari as a desktop app and looks pretty much the same).

If you still back far enough in the release history you can probably still find the builds and commit where this code was still alive.

This was one of the more annoying things for me for SB. I wanted SB to a separate app so that I can add a keybinding from hammerspoon to launch it. I personally use firefox and so so far I have been just using chrome just for SB so that it is a different app and I can assign it a keybinding. The annoying part about this was the fact that when I click on links, it would open in chrome where I have not signed into anything.

Recently learnt about tw93/Pake which converts my localhost:3000 to an app :laughing: and now it is perfect.

Pake looks like a nice solution!

Would you be able to put a how-to in the Tip section on how to use Pake specifically for Silverbullet? I would love to give it a try as well. Thanks!

Actually all you have to do is npx pake http://localhost:300 --name Silverbullet --icon <path-to-icon>. This unlike your solution does not not start up a server within it and is something you have to run separately.

PS: I did find some odd behavior with vim mode navigation in the app created by pake. I have not been able to fully debug that.