Request for feedback/testing

In this PR onespaceman (if that’s is real name :wink: ) is attempting to replace some of the live preview stuff with a pure CSS solution. The “controversial” part is that live preview now activates for the entire paragraph (line) when the cursor “moves in” rather than the more granular expansion we have right now:

CleanShot 2024-03-04 at 18.43.54

You can try it yourself by checking out his branch:

Any opinions on this?

1 Like

If you don’t like it, it’s all good. I don’t like text jumping around either, which is why I usually keep marks visible in markdown.

That’s the reason I started on this pr in the first place.

I’ll try to figure out another way, but no promises

2 Likes

The current implementation, while not ideal, is my preferred choice. I don’t particularly enjoy the cursor jumping around, but I feel like the existing solution does it less.

An “ideal” solution in my mind would involve markdown’s special tokens floating around the text they enclose, thereby eliminating the paragraph growing and shrinking entirely. Although I don’t think CodeMirror has this functionality, nor have I seen it anywhere else.

Yeah. I agree that this makes the problem a little bit worth, so I wouldn’t go this way. Any ideas (and ideally: implementations of them) that reduce the jumping behavior would be highly appreciated.

1 Like